Friday, January 25, 2008

An Interesting Conversation

Tonight after I picked Blake up from a birthday party, we had this conversation in the car on the way home:

Me: "Wow Blake you have another birthday party in 2 more sleeps again. You sure are going to lots of birthday parties."

Blake: "Yeah, I guess everybody really likes me"

Me: "Well, that's good. Do you play with everybody at school?"

Blake: "Yeah, everybody but one boy."

Me: "Why don't you play with this one boy?" Does he want to play with you?"

Blake: "Yeah, but I don't want to. I guess I don't like him. I don't understand it"

Me: "You don't like this boy?" Why not?"

Blake: "No, my heart just feels like I don't like him--I don't understand it"

--I tried to pry some more, but he said something that I couldn't understand, so he got frustrated and just said "just forget about it mommy"
--Now I know this particular boy is not mean to Blake. So, this is not the reason Blake wouldn't like him. In fact I've seen him come up to Blake and hug him and say "I love you Blake." This is probably the reason. I know it makes Blake uncomfortable and he probably doesn't know what to say or do, but is this a reason to not like someone? Probably not, but I don't think Blake really understands what "his heart" is feeling. It's almost like he's never not liked anyone before and he doesn't know how to handle this feeling. Now, how do I handle it? I don't think I can make Blake try to like this boy, but my heart aches that Blake would actually say he doesn't like someone. And my heart aches for this boy that my child is shunning. I'm always worried that Blake will be the one that no-one wants to play with. I never expected the opposite.

No comments: