Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Speak up!

The following is an e-mail I received yesterday from the speech therapist at Blake's school.



Hi Tammi,

I was able to fit Blake into my schedule today for a brief review. I will pull some materials together, but I will guarantee that you won't get them until next week at the earliest (I don't have any office time until Monday). I have included the link to the private practice list if you wish to pursue services outside of the school division. I am unable to guarantee a direct therapy service for Blake this year at this point, although he will be on a therapy waiting list. You may wish to look at accessing private therapy.

Thanks for your follow-up email.


I can't believe this is happening. How does the school system say they offer these services and I think that Blake will be getting it and then he doesn't? Fortunately, I have the support of his school behind me. His teacher, and Principal are both helping me to find out what is going on. Apparently, none of the grade ones and alot of other kids in the school are not yet getting any services. When you hear that the speech therapist is also assigned to 5 other schools as well, how is there any time for all these kids that need it.
I was told that if I hadn't spoken up, they probably wouldn't have realized what was going on. They just assumed that everything was happening as it should be. Thank goodness for a voice!

No comments: