Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I took Blake to hockey yesterday by myself as Dale had to work. I practiced putting on his equipment the night before, so I was all prepared. I can't believe all the stuff they have to wear! This was the first time that I've been to his hockey since his first day. I can't believe how much he's improved. He's actually skating now. I had tears in my eyes watching him, I was so proud of him. Of course, with Avery there I can't stand still very long, but I tried to watch him as much as I could. He lasted 45 minutes and then wanted to come off. I left Avery upstairs with a friend while I went to go talk to Blake. He said the drills were too hard and he had tears in his eyes. My heart was breaking and I just wanted to take him and go home, but I managed to convince him to continue for awhile longer. I went back upstairs to the sound of Avery crying her eyes out because she realized I was gone (even though I had told her that I was going to see Blake and had asked her if she wanted to stay upstairs and she had said Yes!) Well, not 5 minutes later, Blake was skating off the ice again, so I gathered Avery and my things and made my way to see Blake. I must have appeared flustered talking to Blake and trying to keep track of Avery as a lady asked if she could look after Avery for me while I helped Blake. Well, I would have loved that, but I politely explained that Avery's pretty shy and wouldn't go to her anyway. I decided it was time to go home now, but Blake wouldn't walk with me--I finally realized he was trying to tell me that he couldn't walk on the cement with his skates on, so as I was trying to figure out how I was going to get him to the rubber mat a nice gentleman picked him up and carried him for me. Well, now I was almost in tears because I was upset that Blake was upset but I was thankful that people were offering to help me. And I have to do this all again on Sunday as Dale is at work again!

No comments: